Jim over at Blueprint for Financial Prosperity has a great article on making a ton of money and being successful with a personal finance blog. Great information and I want to expand a touch on Search Engine Optimization. It’s on my mind because I will be speaking at the Colorado Chapter of National Speakers Association next month on blogging. As we all know, it’s not enough to write compelling and insightful posts if the search engines can’t find you!Here are some thoughts that will hopefully help you in your optimization strategies.
1. Spiders start from the top down and go left to right so it pays you to have your strongest key words at the top of your title bar. Best free source of keywords is Overture. For serious analysis that is not free after the trial try Wordtracker.
2. Use Meta tags for your title and description. Search engines don’t really rely much on meta keywords but I still put them in. To see this go to Jim’s blog in Internet Explorer and hit “view” then “Source” -starting about 5 lines down.
3. Still near the top of his blog notice the “About” etc…Don’t forget to welcome your readers and use keywords in the about area. I would also recommend you put in a “Contact”, FAQs section, with keywords, and a Glossary of terms.It helps readers understand terms they might not know…And of course you are using keywords again!
4. Another great place to put keywords is in your “Category” section-with blogger it is challenging to say the least! Be sure to include terms like: Money, Personal Finance, Retirement Planning, Insurance, Financial Planning etc…
5. Use Technorati tags-they really will help you. Here is a great site that will generate the tags for you-all you have to do is cut and paste!
6. Don’t forget the social bookmarks like Del.icio.us and Digg-as many of you know, a good Digg can get you monster hits. Digg loves lists that BEG people to link to the post…Kind of like this one!
7. Get syndicated by Google News for traffic, links and rankings.
8. You can go to SEO Analyzer and put in your site and they will come back with suggestions for enhancing your search engine optimization efforts.
9. Don’t forget to use ALT tags in your pictures-do use keywords.
10. If you have a search box on your site, place a few keywords under it to demonstrate to users suggestions for their search!
11. Link to my SEO Speakers blog for additional tips 🙂
12. Oops-Do use Keywords in the title of your posts!
Hold the Presses: The Big Dog, Randfish, over at SEOmoz has an incredible list of Link techniques that are absolutely essential for major Google Page Rank.
Hope these help and if you have further suggestions let me know!
Search Engine Optimization, Personal Finance, Money, Google