Yeah…it’s the “D” word, you know, Discipline. It’s a beautiful day in Denver, Colorado and on my way to Starbucks I drove by Washington Park. I love Wash Park because it’s a piece of heaven in an asphalt jungle. Huge trees, great flowers, manicured grass and some of the best looking and fit men and women to be found in Denver! As I’m driving by I can’t help but notice that 98% of the men and women out running are mean and lean-where are all the Chubbies? I know Denver has them, cause I’ve seen them come into my office, Starbucks, in the morning and order the largest drinks with extra Carmel and whip cream! What I like about all the joggers in Wash Park is the fact that their work out is free and you can see and feel the comradery of the folks-they are all sharing the pain!
As I drive by Wash Park I feel so damn good-almost like I’m getting a great work out by osmosis; then I pinch myself and go to my gym for swimming. Same thing, most of the folks I see there are pretty fit-maybe the fat folks work out at different times?
It reminded me of an earlier blog post I wrote about Weight loss and Saving Money and Motivational Tips to Exercise-Save. I think there may be a correlation between the two and it starts with that discipline thing! Specifically, think of all the people that have been in your life, starting in college, who were always dead broke! Fast forward-they now work with you and are in the lunch room complaining about being broke.
Here is my take away for those who truly want to break this cycle:
- Read Personal Finance Blogs for tips and or motivation
- Join an investment club at work or outside of work
- Start with any investment plan that may be offered at your work
- Open an online investment account
- Make a budget
- Put together a game plan to pay off your credit card debt-I know you have some
- Make a list before you go grocery shopping and stick to it
- Never go grocery shopping when you’re starving- that’s why your butt is BIG and you’re broke!
- Use coupons-there is absolutely no shame-it makes you look brilliant
- Meet new people who share your new found passion for saving and being fit
- Quit buying junk-email me if you need a clarification of junk
- Quit thinking about yourself all the time-go volunteer at Children’s Hospital or one of my favorite charities, Ronald McDonald House Charities.
- Start going to your Washington Park!
For all of my Personal Finance Blog buddies please comment and tell me what I’ve forgotten-except you Crystal. When Crystal tries to leave a comment, it gets “eaten”. Anyone else having this issue? What is causing this??
Last thing to all of you obese folks…you don’t look good! You are not going to live long and prosper. Ditto for all of those of you who choose to be broke!